Job Title: Park Director
Start date: 6/1/2021
Please submit a completed application with a resume to email@example.com or delivered to the Park Office at 211 Iddings St, Kendallville, IN 46755. Please contact the Park Board President, Kevin Jansen, at (260) 241-7446 with any questions.
General Duties and Responsibilities
Provide leadership and direction for the Kendallville Parks Department in overseeing the facilities and operations happening within the scope of the department; interprets and follows federal, state, and local rules and regulations. The director will execute short term programming and work with staff and the Park Board with long range planning budget and goals.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in parks and recreation or public administration recommended.
- At least 5 years continuing experience in park and recreation field with practical applications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Has or will obtain certification as a park and recreation professional.
- Thorough knowledge of recreational programming, laws, and regulations related to park operations.
- Experience and knowledge of effective supervision techniques and practices with effective communication, leadership, motivation, and conflict resolution.
- Experience in budgeting and planning annual expenditures to provide year-round programming in a safe and appealing property.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with local officials, the general public, and employees.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must have general computer skills related to communication, promoting park activities and events, and needed job related tasks.
- Ability to foster a culture of volunteerism from community members to help with programming and encourage community buy-in.
- Familiarity with grant writing.
- Informs and advises the Park Board and attends all Park Board meetings.
- Supervises the overall administration of recreational operations and maintenance of Park facilities.
- Formulates long range plans and produces the annual report submitted to the Kendallville City Council and Kendallville Mayor.
- Submit annual budget and oversee expenditures to operate the department within allowed budget.
- Oversee construction and improvement of park properties.
- Manage and supervise the management of all staff of the Parks and Recreation Department including hiring, training, performance evaluation, discipline, and team building.
- Attends meeting of department heads, boards, agencies, and community groups to represent department programs and needs.
- Work with the other departments in the City of Kendallville in a cooperative manner utilizing intra-department resources.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Director will be working in both office and outdoor environment. The director may be required to work outside in adverse weather conditions. Must be prepared to work evenings, weekends, and holidays when required.
Park and Recreation Director must possess a valid driver’s license and be in good standing to operate a motor vehicle.